One week ago, at 7 am, our nurse came in and told me that our doctor, Dr. Singh, was on the phone for me at the front desk. It never crossed my mind what the call might be, although I should have known. We were so prepared to be waiting for weeks or months, it did not even cross my mind that this was "THE" call. But, in fact, his calm voice said, "We have a heart for Emily."
All the nurses knew and were standing in a large semi-circle behind the desk, watching me. I told him we were ready, and he told us what we needed to do. He said he'd be here in an hour and a half, and that I could call Bob, but wait to wake up Emily. I have to confess that I shook like a leaf, and the nurses asked if I was ok. I told them I needed coffee.
So on our first week anniversary we are grateful for:
1) the donor and the donor's family
2) Lisa Salberg and the HCMA - when we typed HCM into Google the first day of diagnosis we found all the info we needed, and better yet we found Lisa who got us in to Tufts the next week to see Dr. Maron.
3) Dr. Marty Maron - who saw us the first time as an added last case on a Friday night. he correctly diagnosed a diffiucult case, followed Emily closely and correctly determined when she needed to come to a tranplant center.
4) Dr. Blume and the CHB transplant team.
5) Great nurses and care here
6) health insurance
7) Aunt Susie and Jeff being here for those first days
9) a private room
10) all of you who are sending your love and support